At the heart of Famagusta located the largest and certainly the most beautiful building of the Middle Ages - Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque, originally the former Cathedral of St. Nicholas.
Start of construction is estimated since 1298, although it is officially recognized by the Council was only in 1328. Built in the style of the radiant Gothic St. Nicholas Cathedral, reminiscent of the city of Reims, which is why it is sometimes referred to as "Cyprus Reims Cathedral».
The walls of the cathedral stretching to 55 meters long and 23 meters wide, run into the vaulted ceiling, which is supported by 12 columns. Facade of the cathedral, looking to the west has 3 inputs, designed as a pointed portals. Unfortunately, the bell tower 2, suffered during the time of the Ottoman Empire, the survivors of the earthquake in 1735, is not in the best condition. The eastern wall of the Cathedral is decorated with three niches in which it can be said with certainty until the Muslim conquest, is a statue of the Holy Bible. But since in Islam prohibited images of people in religious buildings, everything was destroyed.
The Cathedral of St. Nicholas escaped the fate of most of the temples, which were rebuilt from year to year, and the outside is preserved almost in its original form, which is not true of his interior. The altar was pillaged, the walls whitewashed, the floors are covered with colorful carpets. To the left of the entrance to the mosque is the oldest tree grows all over Cyprus - it has about 800 years.