Holy Cross Fortress Perast was built in 1570, which is confirmed by historical documents, and in 1628 it was modified and strengthened. The fortress was built in the mountainside, where previously acted Church of the Holy Cross, on whose behalf and was named Bastion. In the past, the fortress was the most perfect base from which to protect the population from the enemy fleet. In those days in the fortress was a Venetian garrison under the leadership of "Castellan».
Holy Cross in Perast fortress consists of two parts. The main part was four storeys high. On the ground floor there was a gunpowder storehouse and water storage. It also was the site of the guardhouse. On the second floor living soldiers. There were ammunition and artillery. The third floor was intended for combat, and the fourth was a security turret. During the French occupation, the fortress of the Holy Cross in Perast, served as Napoleon's troops. Later, from 1814 to 1895 years, the hosts here were Austrians. After they themselves have destroyed all the weapons and equipment of the fleet. Therefore, in 1911 the Holy Cross castle was no use to anybody, and subjected to the ravages of time.