Humanity is known that already in V-VI centuries on the site of the monastery near Zlatitsa Podgorica Montenegro capital was Centre local diocese, and was made the ceremonial baptisms. In the XIII century during the time of the ancient state of Zeta is the residence of Metropolitan Hilarion, which was later transferred to the monastery Miholska Prevlaka. In the Middle Ages Monastery gradually fell into neglect, and a period of time Zlatitsa area of the monastery was used for the burial of the noble people of Podgorica. During the reign of the Ottoman Empire in the XVIII-XIX centuries, the monastery was completely destroyed, leaving only ruins.
In the XIX century, the first historical, archaeological and ethnographic studies have been carried out of the monastery Zlatitsa. During World War II, studies had to be suspended. From 1956 to 1959 the staff of the Belgrade Archaeological Institute have found here the remains of two monastic churches. Also valuable find was a rich marble sarcophagus used for the burial of the bishop, and the baptismal room in one of the churches.
The reconstruction of the monastery complex Zlatitsa began in 1997, and since 2001 he is an active convent of the Serbian Orthodox Church.